March 26, 2013

Barstools reupholstered, Ikea hack.

If you remember a while back I found ikea barstools on Craigslist, I decided that it is was time for them to get some cushions. I enjoyed this project a lot because it is something that can be done in one evening. Good thing I had some foam pads, got them for free a while back and now found a perfect opportunity to use them. For this project I used just a regular stapler that I got a while back from Walmart, I believe the cost was under $10. If you are doing little projects, this one is just perfect and budget friendly.
Enjoy before and after results.

March 24, 2013

Rug on the budget

A while back I came across these square carpet tiles for my dining area, see my living and dining space is just one room and there was not a lot of it. I wanted some kind of carpet to separate the two, but didn't want to buy something that looks like rectangle. So I looked and looked for a perfect square and had no luck and then I found these perfect square carpet tiles (1sq ft x 1sq ft) I bought nine of them and put them together. These are perfect for the areas that have tile or hardwood flooring. The idea is that you put them one by one and thanks to their rubber back they won't slide. But in my case I have carpet all around the house (that's what you get for renting) so what I did with them was to gathered the carpet tiles together and on the back secure it with duct tape. After a while the carpet tiles shifted and it was not pretty, and to fix the problem I used hot glue to keep the peaces together plus duct tape just to secure that hold. The grand finale was to paint the trim with nice and bright color.
Now my dining and living areas are tied to each other because of the colors. This was one of the simplest project that I have done do far. Enjoy before and after!

March 23, 2013

Out with the Old, in with the New

Recently I came across this freebie lamp, it was old, rusty and musty (hey, I rhyme) First thing first, washed it with soap, then added some life to the shade with burlap fabric (it was a freebie as well) the trim I had was ivory color, perfect match to the fabric. Then I took the lamp to the garage for light spray paint. At first I added primer (Valspar spray primer) after that dried which was fairly quick I added few coats of Krylon yellow spray paint. I decided to keep the lamp on changing table, as it nicely matches with yellow accents for the baby. Here are my results, Enjoy!